Prior to obtaining a building permit for demolition or part demolition of a building, a Demolition Consent (also known as Section 29A of the Building Act 1993) from the Planning Department may be required.

Section 29A of the Building Act 1993 states that if:

  • the proposed demolition is greater than 50% of the entire building; or

  • the demolition is of any part of a facade (being a wall) of a building if that facade faces the street

then you will need to apply for both a demolition consent and a building permit.

You may also need to apply for an asset protection permit (application must be made at a Customer Service Centre).

If barriers need to be erected outside your property boundary (on the footpath, nature strip or roadway) to protect the public during the demolition works, you will also need the following:

Page last updated: Thursday, 3 November 2016