Land liable to flooding

Before a building permit can be issued, the building surveyor must determine whether or not your allotment is in an area liable to flooding.

Land liable to flooding can be defined in a variety of ways, as prescribed in Regulation 802 of the Building Interim Regulations 2017.

Causes of flooding

Flooding may be caused by:

  • a river or other waterway

  • proximity to the coastline

  • surface water flows

  • water from a drainage system.

Land liable to flooding areas

There are many urban and rural areas within the City of Greater Geelong currently defined as being liable to flooding.

Additional areas are being defined from time to time as flood and drainage studies are completed.

Building in a land liable to flooding area

Your building surveyor may ask for the following documentation to determine whether your allotment is in an area liable to flooding:

  1. Property information relating to designated areas under Regulation 326 of the Building Interim Regulations 2017

  2. Planning Certificate under the Planning & Environment Act 1987 – this will indicate if the Special Building Overlay and/or the Land Subject to Indundation Overlay exist on your property

  3. A copy of the certified or sealed Plan of Subdivision that is referred to on your Certificate of Title.

If it is determined that your allotment is in an area liable to flooding, the consent and report of Council may be required (certain minor works are exempted).

Fees are payable with each of these applications.

Please note that we do not hold copies of Certificates of Title - this is the responsibility of Land Victoria.

Also a drainage design must be prepared for the site in accordance with AS/NZS 3500 and subsequently approved by the Relevant Building Surveyor.

Page last updated: Wednesday, 21 June 2017