Food registration

If you want to sell food to the public, you need to register with or notify your principal council.

Our Food registration - principal Council page explains more about how to determine which council this will be.

If we are your Principal Council, we will assist you to obtain the appropriate food registration for the type of business or operation you are running.

Our Environmental Health Officers will assist you to understand and comply with your obligations including the Food Act and the Food Standards Code.

What you need to know

If you are considering opening or taking over a food businesses, we strongly recommend that you refer to the Business Victoria website to formulate a business plan.

The following list is some of the information food proprietors need to be familiar with:

 What to do to register

  • When you are ready to register your food business the Proposal to register form begins the process
  • When this application is received the Health Officer will assess it and you will receive written advice and/or approval of your proposal


You can contact us if you wish to discuss any food registration query. 

Page last updated: Monday, 27 June 2016