To provide guidelines for the partnership responsibilities between the City of Greater Geelong and Tourism Greater Geelong and The Bellarine Inc. and the development of tourism in the Geelong region.
All employees and Councillors of the City of Greater Geelong.
- Economic Strategy
- Tourism Greater Geelong and The Bellarine Business Plan
- Memorandum of Understanding between Tourism Greater Geelong and The Bellarine Inc. and the City of Greater Geelong.
- GME Strategy Document
5. Council Policy
Council understands the need to have a robust and diverse economic base for the Municipality. Council recognises tourism as one of the sectors that can sustain economic growth and can be further developed, enhanced and expanded through effective leadership and partnership models.
Council has been proactive in initiating a partnership approach to tourism that best meets the needs of the tourism sector and optimises performance outcomes. This co-operative with neighbouring municipal councils, and the tourism sector will be via an incorporated industry based body called Tourism Greater Geelong and The Bellarine.
It is recognised by Council that partnership models will evolve to meet the changing needs of the industry and council will continue to work with industry to maximise employment and the long term economic benefits of tourism.
Council will act as an advocate for an increased recognition and funding of the tourism potential of the Municipality and Region at the local, State and Federal levels.
Council will establish a strong partnership with the Tourism Greater Geelong and The Bellarine Inc. whose role includes the promotion of the tourism industry, encouraging professional standards within the industry and the development and implementation of co-operative arrangements which maximise industry effectiveness
In order to achieve these objectives Council will:
- Support Tourism Greater Geelong and The Bellarine Inc. by the provision of dedicated and other resources within Council’s staffing structure;
- Commit resources to Tourism Greater Geelong and The Bellarine Inc. in accordance with an agreed Memorandum of Understanding provided that an acceptable annual plan is presented to Council by 1 May each year outlining the key result areas to be achieved in the forthcoming financial year;
- Work with the neighbouring Councils of Golden Plains Shire and the Borough of Queenscliffe to ensure that the tourism industry is developed and marketed within the context of the competitive advantages of the City and Region;
- Identify and evaluate priority market opportunities for the City’s tourism industry;
- Build public awareness of Greater Geelong and The Bellarine as a destination and create a desire amongst tourists to visit and stay in the City and Region;
- Seek to improve the travel links to the City and Region;
- Assist tourists to have a memorable experience which will translate into repeat visits and word-of-mouth endorsement;
- Facilitate the creation of tourist opportunities and development of tourism infrastructure while minimising its role as a direct infrastructure funder;
- Actively seek State and Federal support of Conferencing and other tourism related infrastructure.
- Actively seek to involve Greater Geelong and The Bellarine in major events and attractions on a local, state, national and international basis which are clearly beneficial to the City;
- Actively seek to increase the impact of local tourism through the support of local festivals, art shows, galas etc mainly through the provision of in-kind support and moderate financial support;
- Promote change and flexibility within the tourism industry to improve the tourism product.
6. QUALITY RECORDS
Quality Records shall be retained for at least the period shown below.
|Tourism Annual Plan