Find out what items can go into your recycling bin.
Give these items a second life and put them in the recycling bin.
- Clean empty rigid plastic bottles and containers. Food containers just need a quick rinse.
- Clean paper and cardboard.
- Clean steel food cans, aluminium cans and foil.
- Clean empty glass bottles and food and sauce jars with their lids placed in the recycling bin separately.
Keep your recycling in good shape by leaving these out of your recycling bin
- Bagged material in any type of plastic bag.
- Cartons that are used to package milk, juice and various other liquids.
- Soft plastic packaging such plastic bags, bread and frozen food bags. These can be recycled at participating Coles and Woolworths supermarkets.
Cling wrap is an exception.
- Polystyrene packaging.
- Plastic toys.
- Metal pots and pans.
- Clothing and footwear.
These items cause contamination of the recycling bin. This means that material that should be recycled and made into new products will instead go to landfill.
Here are some extra tips to make sure your recycling gets another life.
- If you’re not sure if a plastic can be recycled, give it a squeeze! If it goes back to its original shape, it’s a rigid plastic and is safe to put in your recycle bin.
- Make sure to keep your recycling loose and not in plastic bags.
Use the online directory to find your recycling options for a wide range of items.
Want to be a recycling guru? Sign up for our Rethink Your Rubbish newsletter and we’ll update you on special recycling initiatives around the City of Greater Geelong.