Cleverness and creativity are attributes unique to each of us.
In terms of delivering our community’s 30-year vision and aspirations, being clever and creative is about developing a consistent approach to get things done.
This means collaborating to address our challenges and opportunities, embracing innovation, and new ways of doing things.
And it’s not just for the tech-savvy or emerging industries - it applies to everyone, and all business sectors and industries.
Our community's view
A clever and creative future:
- has business diversity that inspires a broad range of education and employment opportunities
- attracts start-ups, innovative businesses and a can-do attitude
- uses a variety of affordable technologies to provide universal digital access
- makes travel between suburbs easier through a network of pedestrian and cycle paths
- excites local and international visitors who are interested in its events, festivals, landscapes and food
- is designed to create an active street
- has a strong sense of community and uplifts its vulnerable community members
- is designed around people and makes the best use of technology and sustainable living
- is devoted to research and encourages economically viable, environmentally sound and socially responsible solutions to its challenges
- has a global outlook and is connected to the world by technology
- recognises the uniqueness and significance of its natural environments.
Foundations for a clever and creative City-region
A snapshot of Greater Geelong's existing strengths.
- proximity to Western Victoria and Melbourne provides two-way access to markets and investment
- established business associations, community groups and networks
- an emerging cluster of start-ups
- capabilities in advanced manufacturing, industrial design and technology
- scientific facilities and expertise in health and infectious diseases
- a growing population
- strong leadership in education, healthcare, social insurance and social investment sectors
- regional food production and agribusiness
- exciting destinations attract local and international visitors.
- a diverse range of education facilities
- port, rail, airport and freight infrastructure
- available commercial and industrial land
- established sporting and cultural infrastructure
- a variety of relatively affordable housing options
- established cultural and arts facilities.
- a diverse and unique natural environment
- networks of open space, reserves and parks
- spectacular rural and coastal landscapes
- internationally significant natural areas
- the city’s location in relation to the bay and northerly aspect.
- a strong sense of community
- a diverse range of local community activities
- resilient residents committed to the future of Greater Geelong
- a history of inventors, creators and innovation
- contributions to our arts and culture
- a broad range of creative industries
- community service organisations supporting vulnerable residents.
- high-speed digital infrastructure
- student and research precincts
- vibrant public spaces
- support for start-up initiatives
- facilities to attract world-class events
- collaborations addressing social and economic vulnerability
- united leadership and a global outlook.