The health and safety of our community is vital. We will address family violence, homelessness, food shortages and public safety.
- Showing leadership in gender equity, diversity and family violence prevention.
- Supporting local organisations that address homelessness, family violence and food shortages.
- Develop a housing policy to provide a range of social and affordable housing options.
- Improving safety in our community.
- Providing safer public spaces.
- Working with stakeholders to prevent crime.
- Encouraging responsible pet ownership.
- Promoting healthy eating and supporting active living.
- Creating healthy environments in children’s settings.
- Working towards having the safest roads in Victoria
Our aims in 2019-2020
- Work with partner agencies to implement strategies aimed at addressing homelessness in Central Geelong.
- Implement actions in the Ba-Gurrk Gender Equity Framework.
- Adopt and commence delivery of the first year of the Social Housing Plan.
- Work with partner agencies to develop a Community Safety Strategy and Action Plan.
- Create the Mental Health Strategy and Action Plan.
- Improve safety in the CBD including the Little Malop Street Mall and Moorabool Street.
- Implement the Domestic Animal Management Plan focusing on community awareness and education.
- Continue to work with sporting clubs, community groups and businesses to promote healthy eating.
- Work towards becoming a “Towards Zero” council for road safety.
- Implement a strategic response to address food shortages in the Geelong region.
- Create and facilitate more health and fitness options.
Measures of success
- 57 per cent of
residents feel safe where they live.
- 60 per cent of
adults rate their health as very good or excellent.
- 43 per cent of
adults are sufficiently physically
per cent of children enrolled participate
in the Maternal and Child Health service