We will use sustainable principles to guide development of growth areas
and help protect our townships.
- Making sure
housing supply, diversity and
affordability can meet the needs of our growing community.
- Facilitating opportunities for infill residential development.
- Continuing to develop urban growth
areas across the region.
- Managing the impact of development on
the unique character of our townships.
- Improving the environmental
performance of new developments,
using planning controls.
- Delivering biodiversity conservation programs.
- Preserving nature reserves, rural and coastal environments.
Our aims in 2019-2020
- Implement the Settlement Strategy to guide growth and development in townships and urban areas.
- Commence a Precinct Structure Plan in each of the Northern and Western Geelong Growth Areas.
- Unlock barriers to investment in key development areas, urban renewal areas and station precincts.
- Progress the Municipal Heritage Strategy in partnership with the Heritage Advisory Committee.
- Continue to implement the Armstrong Creek Urban Growth Area to ensure infrastructure and services meet the needs of the new communities.
- Work with Victorian Government to conserve the Bellarine as a distinctive landscape area.
- Develop the Sparrovale Wetlands Master Plan and begin construction.
- Adopt the Saleyard Precinct Master Plan.
- Work with Victorian Government to deliver the Geelong Growth Area Transport Infrastructure Strategy.
Measures of success
- More protected
natural habitat that we manage.
- Planned 15 years
of residential land supply.
- 40 per cent of
new housing construction conducted within existing urban areas.
- 100 per cent of
new large, City-owned buildings rated
5-star ‘Green Star’.
- 100 per cent of new, small City-owned buildings with built
environment sustainability scorecard
controls in place that require a mandatory sustainable design assessment of all