Our tourism and events offering is strong, but we aim to grow it further.
- Working with government to deliver City Deal tourism infrastructure projects, including the Convention
and Exhibition Centre.
- Delivering the Visitor
Economy Strategy 2017–21 and the Tourism
- Building on the current events program and increasing cross-promotional opportunities.
Our aims in 2019-2020
- Establish and fund the Community Events Grant Fund.
- Open the Geelong Botanic Garden Sustainable Visitor Facility.
- Update the Tourism Development Plan to identify new priority infrastructure projects (public and private).
- Support and grow international education as part of the local visitor economy.
- Support Geelong Yacht Club to implement stage one of the Geelong Waterfront Safe Harbour Master Plan.
- Continue to drive visitation by supporting local events.
- Participate in the development of the You Yangs and Serendip Sanctuary Master Plan.
- Construct and launch the first stage of the Sunken Gallery.
- Support the development of shared trail linkages to create a trail network across the region.
Measures of success
- 2.1 percent annual increase in visitors.
- 3.8 percent
annual increase in expenditure by
- 4.9 percent
annual increase in international
- 1.9 percent
annual increase in domestic overnight
- 1.6 percent annual
increase in tourism employment.
- 30:1 return on
investment of Geelong major events to