We're here to support local businesses impacted by coronavirus (COVID-19).
Supporting outdoor dining
We understand the significant impact COVID-19 restrictions have had on businesses
and we are keen to support venues to expand their outdoor dining options, as allowed in regional Victoria under the 'Third Step' of the regional roadmap to reopening. Restoring Greater Geelong’s vibrant hospitality industry will aid
in the region’s economic and social recovery and provide a huge morale boost.
Visit our Outdoor Dining page for guidance and assistance through the required application processes. Interested businesses can fill in this application form or contact the City’s Business Concierge on
03 5272 5272 or at [email protected] to discuss your options.
City support packages
The City has adopted six support packages, budgeted at an estimated $16.9 million, to assist businesses, community groups and residents impacted by the coronavirus pandemic.
Read more about our COVID-19 support measures
Read more about our COVID-19 refunds
Geelong Business Support program
Our Geelong Business Support program connects local businesses with free professional marketing, finance, human resources, occupational health and safety, grant writing, legal, and wellbeing support, small business mentoring and COVID-19 workplace training.
The program offers personalised, expert one on one help on topics like:
- identifying grants for your business and developing grant applications
- COVID-safe workplace planning, workplace risk assessments and workplace compliance
- managing your staff and keeping them safe
- getting the best out of social media, website management and taking your business online
- finding government financial support packages for your business, managing cash flow and business planning
- leases and contracts, insolvency and business restructuring, and employment law
Expert business mentoring is provided by the Small Business Mentoring Service across a range of business topics and industry sectors. Select the right mentor for your business to receive a one-hour remote mentoring session plus follow up actions you can implement in your business.
Confidential health and wellbeing support is provided by Converge International. Book an appointment with Converge International directly on 1300 687 327 for solutions-oriented coaching to help you and your staff manage coronavirus-related issues at work and at home. Let them know you’re calling to access support through our Business Support program with client number 87286.
Occupational COVID-19 Workplace Training, delivered by DeakinCo., has been designed in partnership with industry experts and health professionals to help businesses manage their return to work strategy as safely and efficiently as possible.
Find out more at Geelong Business Support
It's Our Backyard
The It’s Our Backyard campaign has been developed to inspire our community to back Geelong and think local first when seeking supplies and essential services – because every local purchase, big or small, makes a difference.
It's Our Backyard highlights the many Greater Geelong businesses that have found innovative ways to continue serving our community safely while adhering to restrictions.
Visit It's Our Backyard to read more about the campaign and download free promotional images to help get the 'support local' message out.
Financial hardship policy
We’ve developed a financial hardship policy so that:
- businesses and residents who pay rates, rent, fees and/or charges to the City can apply to defer their payments for a mutually agreed period and create a payment plan for rates that suits their individual circumstances
- commercial waste customers can apply to suspend, cancel or amend their collection service without penalty
- event organisers can apply to be refunded any associated fees or charges paid to the City where their event was cancelled or closed due to government COVID-19 directions.
Please email [email protected] or call 03 5272 5272 to find out more.
We have stopped referring outstanding debts for debt collection and we're waiving interest on all debts from 14 March until 31 October 2020.
State and federal government supports
Business Victoria hotline: 132 215
Visit the Business Victoria website for up to date information on Victorian Government supports, including:
- Business Resilience Package, delivering $3 billion in cash grants, tax relief and cashflow support to Victorian businesses that have been most affected by coronavirus (COVID-19) restrictions
Business support line: 13 28 46
Visit business.gov.au for up to date information on Australian Government supports, including:
Keep in touch
We’re in this together. Contact the Geelong Business Concierge service on 03 5272 5272 or keep in touch with us at [email protected] – we’ll answer your questions or connect you with somebody who can.
You can help too...
Read about local businesses adapting their products and services so they can keep working, get inspiration and ideas for your business, and see how you can help: