Changes to a Registered Food Business

If you are making any alterations to your registered food business, it is best to make contact with your Environmental Health Officer (EHO).

Any alteration or change to an existing registered food premise may require approval by our Environmental Health Unit, as well as our Building Department.

At all times, you need to make sure you comply with the Food Act and Food Standards Code. Your EHO can give you advice about your particular circumstance.

The types of changes are varied but here are some examples and what actions you should take:

Moving address

If you are moving premises – you should discuss this with your EHO. You will need to start the process of registration – fill out a proposal to register form for the new business address.

Renovating your current kitchen

If you are renovating the kitchen, whether you are replacing equipment or surfaces like for like, or are changing the location of things like cooking equipment, washing up sinks, hand-wash basins, preparation areas and dry stores, you should talk to your EHO first.  

We also strongly recommend you get your plans assessed and formally approved by your EHO prior to making changes. This can be done by submitting the proposal to register form and ticking the ‘alterations to an existing premises’ box.

There is a consultation fee payable for this service, however you may find the potential cost of rectifying any issues after the fit-out is much higher than this.

Using a temporary kitchen while renovating

If you are using a temporary kitchen while renovating (i.e. using a portable kitchen onsite for the duration of the renovation) you should also get this approved to make sure it meets the food safety requirements of your business.

If your business is a Class 1 business (such as aged care facility, child care or hospital), you would also need to make sure your third party food safety auditor approves these temporary changes.

Enlarging your current kitchen

If you are increasing the size of the premises, including by expanding into the shop next door, converting a storeroom into a food preparation room, adding an outdoor cool room or dry store, then discuss this in advance with your EHO.

As with the ‘renovating your current kitchen’ point above, we recommend you get your plans approved prior to starting works, however if the works are minor your EHO may not request this.

Changing what food you prepare

If you are increasing the risk of foods you are selling or making, then the classification of your food business may also change.

If your business is currently a Class 3 low-risk packaged convenience store and you wish to start making and selling sandwiches onsite, then you would become a Class 2 food business. You will have additional food safety and structural requirements that need to be met before you start the higher risk process.

See the our classification page for more information on what the classes are and contact your EHO to discuss your plans.

Selling your business

If you are selling your business – see the transfer of registration page.

If the new owners also plan to renovate the shop, they should also submit the proposal to register form as above under ‘renovating your current kitchen’, after the transfer process is complete.

Page last updated: Monday, 13 July 2020