Posters displayed at Open House #2 outlining potential heritage to be considered as part of the framework planning process:
- The identification and protection of heritage places within the growth areas will allow for local character to be incorporated into the future urban landscape and within the open space network.
Aboriginal Cultural Heritage
A total of 33 registered Aboriginal places were identified in the study area.
High Aboriginal archaeological potential areas:
- Moorabool River, Barwon River and Cowies Creek are all identified as areas of Aboriginal cultural heritage sensitivity.
Moderate Aboriginal archaeological potential areas:
- the crest of the escarpment, overlooking Barwon River
- small hill crest, north of Barwon River, overlooking the floodplain
- margins of two small waterways, north of Hamilton Highway and Fyansford-Gheringhap Road
- the crest of the escarpment, overlooking Moorabool River
- a small hill/knoll between Batesford and Moorabool River to the south.
Low Aboriginal archaeological potential areas:
- all other areas demonstrate low archaeological sensitivity
- limited investigations have been undertaken to date and there are likely to be more Aboriginal archaeological sites in the study area.
A total of 15 registered heritage places were found in the study area.
Three places of State significance that are listed on the Victorian Heritage Register:
- former Travellers Rest Inn, 750 Midland Highway
- Frogmore, 425-465 Hamilton Highway
- bridge over Moorabool River, Batesford.
Two archaeological places were identified and were formerly listed on the Victorian Heritage Inventory:
- elevated conveyor, Geelong Cement Works, Batesford Quarry
- Hawthorn Hedge, Creamery Road, 110 Creamery Road, Batesford.
Ten places listed on the local heritage overlay, three of which are also listed on the National Trust Register.
- Please refer to map for local heritage overlay sites.
Places of potential heritage values:
- dry stone walls along Friend-in-Hand Road
- three walls in Batesford along Old Ballarat Road and along Cross Street
- Dryden Homestead, 200 McCanns Lane, Fyansford.
Click to Enlarge Image