The G21 Regional Justice Reference Group subcommittee has developed a set of actions to address people’s concerns about the Central Geelong Mall.
The actions focus on promoting a safe space for everyone by:
- engaging people in solutions
- improving the physical environment, and
- maintaining effective crime control.
The mall has been the subject of research over recent years. Various studies confirm unruly behaviour as the biggest influence on how safe people feel.
Other major influences include crime control measures, police/security presence, CCTV and physical elements such as lighting and recessed spaces.
The subcommittee was formed in February 2015 at a G21 Regional Justice Reference Group workshop focused on responding to community concerns about the mall.
The following parties are working together on the subcommittee:
- BATForce representing the youth services sector
- City of Greater Geelong
- Department of Education and Training
- Department of Health and Human Services
- Department of Justice and Regulation
- G21 Geelong Region Alliance
- Public Transport Victoria, and
- Victoria Police.
The Central Geelong Task Force is working concurrently to implement the Central Geelong revitalisation. This plan is broader, longer-term strategy. Its delivery will have a positive impact on the CBD as a whole, including the mall.
In developing the actions, the subcommittee’s focus is on addressing concerns regarding the mall in three key areas: engage people, physical environment and crime control.