Walking is free, low impact and can help you to be more active at any time of the day.
Ocean Grove Beach to River Loop Walk
This is a lovely walk to do as a family in all types of weather! It is not too far for little legs and kids can play in the sand for a rest if they are tired.
Time: 43 minutes
Distance: 2.87 kilometres
- Travelling from Barwon Heads to Ocean Grove, park at the 5th carpark along the Barwon Heads- Ocean Grove Road (to the right). Park at any of the other carparks along this road to shorten the walk.
- From the carpark, walk to the beach via the track and stairs, then walk along the beach around the headland until you reach the Barwon Heads bridge.
- Walk under the bridge and continue along-side the Barwon River until you reach the stairs. These will take you up to the Riverview Family Caravan Park.
- Walk through the caravan park until you get to the road. Carefully cross the road and back to your vehicle.
- View the Ocean Grove Beach to River Loop Walk map online
Queenscliff Dune Walk
An easy family walk along a winding track through the dunes and back along the beach. The old defence structure half way along the dune track is an irresistible place for kids to play!
Time: 51 minutes
Distance: 3.46 kilometres
- Start at the carpark next to the ‘Cottage by the Sea’ (29 Flinders Street, Queenscliff). Take the bush track that heads towards Point Lonsdale.
- The winding track will take you to an old defence structure which is an exciting space for children to play.
- After the old defence structure, the track begins to change and the trees become taller.
- Continue to the Point Lonsdale rock wall to access the beach again.
- Walk along the beach until you reach the stairs that lead up back to the carpark and your vehicle.
- View the Queenscliff Dune Walk map online
Buckley Falls Walk
Take in the view of Bunyip Pool and the Old Paper Mill and see plentiful birdlife on this walk. There are lots of spots along the way to rest.
Time: 42 minutes
Distance: 2.82 kilometres
- Park your vehicle at the lower Buckley Falls carpark on Buckley Falls Road.
- Turn left and follow the signs to “Riverside walk to Mill”. Take either of the two tracks available.
- Go up the stairs to the lookout over Bunyip Pool.
- Continue upstream and follow either track towards the lower lookout (this part of the track is not suitable for a pram).
- Continue along Barwon River until you reach the end of the track at Rivergum Drive.
- To return to your vehicle walk back the way you came.
- View the Buckley Falls Walk map online
You Yang’s Big Rock Walk
This is a perfect family walk. It is short, varied, suitable for a pram, dog friendly, and nature’s playground awaits your children at the end!
Time: 21 minutes
Distance: 1.42 kilometres
- Park at the Branch Road Entrance carpark at the You Yangs and follow the signs to Big Rock.
- The wide gravel track will lead you through the bush to Big Rock.
- At Big Rock you will find large boulders to climb on and cubbies children (and adults!) have made. There is a big area for kicking a ball around or playing cricket. There are woodfire BBQs, public toilets and seating in the picnic area.
- To return to you vehicle walk back the same way or organise to be picked up from the Big Rock carpark.
- View the You Yang’s Big Rock Walk map online
Create, discover and share walks on the Walking Maps website.
Central Geelong 30 Minute Walks is jointly funded by the Victorian Government and VicHealth.
The walk information is sent in by members of the public and Healthy Together Geelong/Victoria Walks accepts no responsibility for any incomplete or inaccurate information. Please ensure that you are fully equipped before starting any walk, and that any walk you undertake is within the capabilities of you and all of your party members.
*Steps are estimated on a 0.75 metre stride length.