Home and Community Care Program for Younger People (HACC-PYP)

Home and Community Care (HACC) for Younger People (PYP) provides support for people under 65 with disabilities (under 50 years for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders).

The HACC Program for Younger People provides basic support and maintenance services to help people with disabilities remain living at home as independently as possible.

The program is funded and managed by the Victorian Department of Health and Human Services and an assessment is required to ascertain your eligibility for service.

Your assessment

Our Service Coordinator meets you at your home to talk with you about what support you might need to continue to live independently in your home. You are welcome to have a family member, a friend, an advocate or your carer at the assessment with you for support.

At the assessment we talk about:

  • what is important to you, such as your health, your relationships; your accommodation and access to transport
  • what you enjoy doing, and your hobbies and
  • how we can work together so that you can achieve your goals.
HACC assessment flowchart

Together we will work out a plan based on what your goals are and what you think is best for you. If after a while you feel that your needs have changed you can have your plan reviewed - you may find that your health has improved and your goals achieved.  We will also regularly check back with you to make sure that your plan is still suitable for you.

After your assessment

At the end of your assessment a plan to support you will be completed. Your Service Coordinator will then arrange for your services to start as soon as possible so that you can start working towards your goals.

Support to help you stay independent and active

Your plan may indicate that you need support with some household tasks. A Community Care Worker can work with you until you are able to manage on your own again.

Other support options

We can also help you by:

  • Arranging for delivered meals to be provided so that you eat well
  • Putting you in touch with other professional services such as occupational therapy, physiotherapy and community nursing
  • Linking you back in with your community such as social groups, local outings and shopping
  • Providing you with local information on advocacy, accommodation and other local support services
  • Discussing with you some strategies that may allow you to build your strength and return to being independent
  • Providing minor home maintenance work that enables you to be safe at home.

Learn more about the HACC Program in Victoria.

Assessment leads to support services leads to greater independence

Fees for service

The fees for service are very reasonable and are worked out based on your income and are in line with the HACC-PYP Schedule of Fee's Framework.

The fees for service are discussed with you, and set out in your service agreement for you at the time of your in-home assessment.

Our staff

Our work is guided by Council's values of integrity, responsibility, innovation and respect.

We have friendly, qualified and experienced staff who are dedicated to help you maintain your quality of life and independence.

All our staff and volunteers also have a current National Police Check for your safety and peace of mind.

Allocation of staff

We will allocate a team of Community Care Workers to complete the agreed services.

Where possible we try to limit the number of staff attending your home. We do, however, recommend that when a relief worker is offered due to staff taking leave this be accepted.

Diversity of need

We acknowledge the diverse needs of the community and we are committed to ensuring that where possible our services meet your specific requirements.

We endeavour to ensure services are equally available to all clients regardless of race, sexual identity, sexual orientation, religion, culture, language or geographic location.

Please note: you may be eligible to access this funding if you are a current NDIA client and require short-term assistance with a health need. You will require an assessment to see if you are eligible for this short-term assistance.

Page last updated: Monday, 26 April 2021