Liquor Licensing

Victorian Commission for Gambling and Liquor Regulation issues all Liquor Licences.

Victorian Commission for Gambling and Liquor Regulation has information regarding all types of liquor licensing or you can contact them on 1300 182 457.

However, in some circumstances we may need to issue a Planning Permit prior to the issue of the Liquor Licence.

Clause 52.27 of the Greater Geelong Planning Scheme states that a Planning Permit is required for using land to sell or consume liquor if any of the following apply:

  • A Licence is required under the Liquor Control Reform Act, 1998

  • A different Licence, or category of Licence is required from that which is in force

  • The hours of trading allowed under any Licence are to be extended

  • The number of patrons allowed under any licence are to be increased

When considering and issuing a Planning Permit for Licensed Premises we may stipulate trading hours.


An application fee is required (Change of Use category). This is not a Permit fee and if we do not support the application, the fee is non-refundable.

Should Victorian Commission for Gambling and Liquor Regulation require a letter from us to confirm that a Planning Permit is not required, a discretionary fee for this service is required.

Page last updated: Wednesday, 15 February 2017