|Parking Permit Schemes
||28 October 2008
|Responsible Officer: General Manager Development Sustainability
and General Manager City Services
||Chief Executive Officer
This Policy outlines the requirements for the provision of parking permits.
This policy applies to residents and businesses within the Geelong region that have restricted parking access, where the parking is within and/or adjacent to a place of residence, large commercial centres, other major activity developments and at the perimeter of parking restriction areas or to residents who are returned service personnel
- Local Law – Parking (Schemes and Equipment)
- Local Government Act 1989
- Road Safety Act 1986
- Geelong Transport Strategy
- Parking Permits Scheme Management Procedure
Major activity developments includes, but is not limited to:
- Educational institutions
- Major sporting facilities
- Major railway stations
5. Council Policy
Council will issue parking permits where necessary on a street or area basis and will involve either the designation of permit zones in selected locations, or the exemption of permit holders from the time limit or prescribed parking fees of the parking restrictions.
In order to achieve this Council will establish a parking permit scheme and:
- Issue parking permits for residents, visitors, businesses and eligible returned service personnel.
- Charge fees for business parking permits that are based on the cost of alternative commercial parking.
- Limit the number of residential parking permits per household to two with no charge. Limit the number of permits issued to business premises to minimise parking congestion and to discourage high levels of car ownership in congested areas, limit the number of permits per returned service personnel to one per person.
- Require applications for parking permits at intervals not exceeding three years.
6. Quality Records
Quality Records shall be retained for at least the period shown below.
||2 years after expiry