Kardinia Park was first proclaimed a public park in 1872, with the name ‘Kardinia’ meaning ‘Sunrise’ in the aboriginal language.
In 1876 the extension of the Geelong Railway to Winchelsea, chopped the North-East corner of the 24 hectare park and crowds today often still hear a whistle from passing trains.
From 1903 Kardinia Park hosted a Zoo which closed at an unknown date.
Kardinia Park Oval
A Section of Kardinia Park Oval, the grandstand and the press and committee box (left) was taken on the occasion of the Geelong-Essendon (1950 Premiers) game on 21 May 1951.
For further historical images of Kardinia Park please visit Geelong Heritage Centre Image Library.