Under the Domestic Animals Act 1994 pet registrations run from 10 April in each year and must be renewed annually.
Benefits of pet registration
There are a number of benefits to registering your pet:
- your pet can be identified and returned to you if it is lost or injured when wearing its registration tag
- events, incentive schemes & information
- pet facilities including dog parks, pound and shelter facilities
- animal management services
- domestic animal business compliance
- we collect valuable information about local animal populations so that we can plan for and fund proactive programs and activities.
We keep a record of your pet's details including:
- desexed or not
- pet's name
- microchip number
- date of birth.
We will also keep details about you including:
- date of birth
- contact information
- address where your pet is kept if different to your address.
There are a number of registration categories that attract reduced fees for your animal's registration.
For entitlement to reduced registration fees proof of the following are required:
- sterilisation (or letter from Vet advising that pet is too young to be sterilised at time of registration - to continue reduced fee entitlement at registration renewal proof must be provided as soon as sterilising procedure has been completed)
- microchip implant
- membership of an approved association (Australian National Cats Inc, Cats Victoria Inc, DOGS Victoria, Feline Control Council of Victoria Inc, Greyhound Racing Victoria and the Governing Council of the Cat Fancy Australia and Victoria)*
- obedience papers from an approved obedience training organisation (Australian Association of Professional Dog Trainers Inc, The Gentle Dog Trainers Association Inc, Dogs Victoria and Four Paws K9 Training)
- breeding license
- tax return for proof of working dog status.
*In addition to financial membership of an approved organisation, you will need to supply your breeders prefix. Please note that the dogs/cats for which you are seeking a reduced rate also need to be registered with that applicable organisation.
Holders of eligible pension cards are entitled to a reduction as listed in the fees for pensioners.
Fees are set out on the Animal Registration Application form attached.
Payment of fees
Payment of registration fees can be made by:
- credit card
- money order
at any of our Customer Service Centres.
Please note: A payment processing fee of 0.57% applies to credit and debit card payments.
All registered pets in our municipality are issued with a lifetime tag. This means a replacement tag will only be issued, free of charge, if your pet's tag is damaged or lost.
A new tag means a new registration number too.
Animal registration renewals
Registrations must be renewed by 10 April each year.
Animal registration refunds
You may be eligible for a pet registration refund if your dog or cat has passed away.
Animal registration applications
Register your animal online, download an application form, visit any of our Customer Service Centres or telephone 03 5272 5272 and we will arrange for a form to be mailed to you.