Apply for a Places of Public Entertainment (POPE) and Prescribed Temporary Structures permit

Prior to lodging an application, please contact our Events department to make all suitable arrangements for your event. 

Public entertainment means an event or meeting which members of the public can attend, such as:

  • circus
  • air show
  • cinema in a park
  • community fair or show (for example: Geelong Show)
  • kids’ carnival
  • live performances (for example: rock concerts).

An occupancy permit must be issued by the municipal building surveyor before a building or place can be used as a Place of Public Entertainment.

The following are prescribed temporary structures that require a siting approval by the municipal building surveyor before they are erected / placed on the land:

  • a seating stand for more than 20 people
  • a marquee larger than 100 square metres
  • a tent larger than 100 square metres
  • a booth larger than 100 square metres
  • a stage or platform larger than 150 square metres.

Page last updated: Wednesday, 21 November 2018