Section 3 provides a structure for the creation of a network of interesting interactive, engaging and stimulating pieces and places across the City Centre.
3.1 Unique spaces and public art opportunities
The public realm framework recognises the need for an element of surprise to be used sparingly to allow for some amount of individuality for unique or special projects.
Unique spaces will provide an opportunity to design a ‘twist’ on the standard palette within a section of streetscape or public space.
Unique spaces may develop quite distinctively from the standard palette and are anticipated to be more comprehensive designs than just the installation of a unique piece of furniture or art. It is anticipated that these unique spaces would build on the use of standard materials (for example: 800 millimetres x 500 millimetres standard paver) perhaps utilising them in a different way as well as designing in integrated and/or unique furniture.
Public art opportunities are directed by Council’s Public Art Strategy: Connecting people, place & environment : a public art strategy for the City of Greater Geelong, adopted 11 September 2012, and four platforms for delivery including:
- Permanent Elements
- Lighting/ Projection/ Interactive
- Street Art
In addition, the following opportunities have been identified.
- Allow for a range of different forms and interpretations of art
- Experimental art should be encouraged as well as monumental
- Ephemeral, performative or temporary as well as permanent.
- Works with local reference to history, and the built environment narratives to articulate identity as well as references back to the Geelong Art Gallery and other permanent collections.
- Interactive works provide connection and interest.
- Children should be considered and viewed/experienced at a lower eye level.
- The collection will be diverse, challenging, beautiful, thought provoking site responsive and dynamic Ÿ Some works should respond specifically to a youth sensibility
3.2 Public art opportunities (indicative only)
Opportunities for occasional bespoke contemporary designs
Some subtle decorative qualities to add a narrative, interest achieved through patterning and applications may be considered in appropriate locations.
Custom furniture items comissioned (for example: bike racks, seats, bins) demonstrating aesthetic value and functionality.
Opportunities for occasional custom approaches. Custom lighting opportunities to incorporate LED uplighting of civic buildings, Public Art works, pedestrian corridors in Cultural Precinct and museum.
Provide platforms for various media, including interactive opportunities, sculptural forms ephemeral works, digital
projection and illumination.
Moments of surprise and intrigue in unexpected places...
Opportunities for art to be programmed or temporarily exhibited.