Refugee Week is Australia’s peak annual activity to raise awareness about the issues affecting refugees and celebrate the positive contributions made by refugees to Australian society. Originally celebrated in 1986, Refugee Week coincides with World Refugee Day (20 June).
This year Refugee Week is on Sunday June 14 to Saturday June 20, 2020
Objectives of Refugee Week is to:
- To celebrate the contribution refugees make to our community.
- To educate the Australian public about who refugees are and why they have come to Australia.
- To help people understand the challenges refugees face coming to Australia.
- To focus on how the community can provide a safe and welcoming environment for refugees.
- For community groups and individuals to do something positive for refugees and people seeking asylum who are displaced within Australia and around the world.