Our region's attractive lifestyle continues to drive strong population growth and economic activity. Growth increases demand for services, community infrastructure and transport.
Strategic planning manages growth, supports business development and ensures a sustainable future. It ensures the City:
- plans for future growth
- maintains its environmental, heritage and cultural values
- identifies issues facing townships and urban renewal precincts including community aspirations and needs
- articulates the preferred future directions for townships and urban renewal precincts
- identifies appropriate planning controls to protect and enhance townships and urban renewal precincts.
Our strategic plans and visions are implemented through the Greater Geelong Planning Scheme.
We prepare and review local planning policies, structure plans, master plans, urban growth plans, frameworks and design guidelines.
Structure plans help us to:
- provide certainty for residents and landowners regarding the future land use planning for a place
- ensure land supply and housing mix can meet the needs of a growing population
- identify opportunities for key strategic sites
- protect and enhance significant environmental, landscape or neighbourhood character areas
- influence the future provision of infrastructure and services
- determine the application of local planning policies, planning zones and overlays
- guide consideration of rezonings and applications for planning permits.
The Planning Strategy team undertake, coordinate and manage the delivery of key strategic planning projects using clever and creative initiatives to deliver high quality urban, social, economic and environmentally sustainable development within the City of Greater Geelong:
Have your say on these current projects:
Upcoming projects are:
- West Fyans/Fyans Structure Plan Review
Planning scheme amendments
Sometimes the planning scheme may need to be changed to reflect new circumstances or achieve new planning objectives. Changes to the scheme are known as amendments. View our amendments.
Urban growth areas
Geelong is growing. Read about our urban growth areas including the Armstrong Creek growth area and the long term northern and western Geelong growth area investigation (NWGGA).
Development Contributions Plans
To guide and facilitate urban growth across the municipality, we have implemented development contributions plans (DCP's) across various growth areas, ensuring these growing communities are provided with essential transport, drainage, community and recreation infrastructure.
Community participation and feedback
The community has an opportunity to participate and comment on our strategic planning work.
This is done informally during the development of the projects and formally at the planning scheme amendment stage, when the policy or document is introduced into the Greater Geelong Planning Scheme.
Infrastructure design manuals