Valuation objections

Following the issue of Council's rates notice formal written valuation objections must be made to us in relation to the values of a property, or on other grounds specified in the Valuation of Land Act 1960.

Once you receive your rate notice, issued in August/September each year, and you do not agree with your property valuation, you can contact us to discuss your concerns with our Valuations staff by completing an online form:

Query a property valuation 

or by contacting us by phone, email or in person.

If after discussions you are still not in agreement with the valuation of your property, you can then formally object in writing. Strict legislative time lines apply for lodgement of a formal objection.

Objection deadlines

An objection must be made to Council within two months of the date of the initial rate notice.

Objection to a valuation used for the State Government's land tax must be made within two months of receiving the land tax assessment and to the State Revenue Office.

Objection form

An objection to Council valuations should include the prescribed information as requested on our valuation objection form.

Objection process

Upon receipt of an objection, our Valuer may discuss the matter with you and either allow or disallow the objection.

If you are not satisfied with the decision, you may appeal to the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (VCAT), or the Supreme Court. The Valuation of Land Act 1960 sets out both our responsibilities and yours, as the objector.

Payment of rates

If you object to a valuation, you must still ensure the rates are paid by the due date. Failure to pay rates by the due date results in interest charges being made.

The Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning under the Valuer-General Victoria's area, have a section on their website explaining more about valuations, valuers and further relevant links for your information.

Valuation objection outcome

We must wait for the Valuer-General Victoria (VGV) to officially confirm the change in valuation advised by the Valuer.

We will send out an adjusted rate notice, in relation to the outcome.

Any change to the rates in your favour shall be credited back to the rate assessment.

Any credit amount will remain on your rate assessment and a refund cheque will only be issued on your request.

Page last updated: Thursday, 22 August 2019