Position description for the Volunteer Visitor Information Centre Officer.
||Visitor Information Centre Volunteer Officer
||Investment & Attraction
||Tourism Greater Geelong and The Bellarine
||Visitor Information Centres Coordinator
Tourism Greater Geelong & The Bellarine has three accredited Visitor Information Centres open 9:00am-5:00pm 7 days a week. The Geelong Visitor Information Centre is located in Moorabool St Geelong in the city centre, the Geelong and Great Ocean Road Visitor Information Centre is located on the Princes Highway at Little River, and The Bellarine Visitor Information Centre is located on the Bellarine Highway at Flying Brick Cider House. We also have three Visitor Information Booths, one at Avalon Airport, one on the Geelong Waterfront and the other in the busy Market Square Shopping Complex.
All of our centres are staffed by volunteers. Our volunteers are people who live in the community, are passionate about where they live and are happy to showcase Geelong and the region to our visitors.
- Staff the Visitor Information Centres.
- Attend to telephone and in-person enquiries in a professional manner.
- Participate in a minimum of two organised familiarisation tours per year.
- Attend staff training and meetings as organised by the Visitor Information Centres Coordinator.
- Assist in staffing information stands at major events when available.
- Refer non-visitor enquiries to the Visitor Information Centres Coordinator.
- Complete accurate and detailed information on visitor survey forms as requested.
- Adhere to TGG&TB Volunteer Procedures, Code of Conduct and to all Council’s policies and procedures relevant to this position.
Our values represent who we are and who we aspire to be. They are the tools to create the workplace culture we want. We are all accountable for this.
- Respect and encourage each other
- Create a healthy and safe environment for all
- Embrace new ideas and better ways to work
- Make people the centre of our business
Risk Management and Occupational Health & Safety Responsibilities:
- Understand and comply with Council OHS policies, procedures and legislative requirements relevant to the position.
- Perform work in a safe and appropriate manner.
- Ensure behaviour does not discriminate, bully or harass others.
- Take responsibility for own safety and that of others.
- Proactively report any incidents, injuries, hazards or unsafe work practices.
The following general physical and functional requirements may apply to this position. Specific physical requirements will be attached if applicable.
- Manual handling tasks.
- Prolonged periods of inactivity eg. sitting.
- Long / short distance travel between sites.
- Dealing with difficult clients and situations.
Key Selection Criteria
- An interest in and up to date knowledge of TGG & TB events, members and attractions.
- Good customer liaison skills to provide customer service to visitors to the centres and over the telephone.
- Good written and oral communication skills.
- Be able to assist when requested to safely carry out all duties and responsibilities of the role, which includes safely unloading boxes of brochures and other material delivered to the centres.
- Visitor Information Centres and stands at major events must be staffed by Tourism Greater Geelong & The Bellarine registered volunteers only.
- Volunteers should be available to staff any of the four Visitor Information Centres for a minimum of four hours per week. The shifts are:
- Monday to Sunday 9:00am to 5:00pm at the Geelong and Geelong and Great Ocean Road Visitor Information Centre (Princes Highway, Little River), including 2pm to 4.30pm at Avalon Airport every second week.
- Monday to Sunday 9:00am to 1:00pm or 1:00pm - 5:00pm at the Geelong Visitor Information Centre (26 Moorabool Street, Geelong).
- Monday to Sunday 9:00am to 1:00pm, 1:00pm to 5:00pm or 9:00am to 5:00pm at the Bellarine Visitor Information Centre (Bellarine Highway, Wallington)
- Market Square booth 9:00am to 1:00pm or 1:00pm - 5:00pm Monday to Saturday (Moorabool Street, Geelong).
- Waterfront booth 10:00am to 1:00pm or 1:00pm to 4:00pm Monday to Sunday (in front of Carousel at Eastern Beach, Geelong).
- You will need to supply the details of two referees - 1 personal referee and 1 professional referee if you have been employed within the last 5 years. Please supply names and contact details on your application form.
- The City of Greater Geelong provides personal injury cover under our Personal Injury Insurance and therefore volunteers can work up to 90 years of age.
- Animals and/or children cannot accompany volunteers.
- It is vital that volunteers do not discuss their personal issues or home situations with anyone. Any issues regarding your own or a visitor’s health or wellbeing should reported to your Coordinator.
How to apply
Applications for this position should be submitted using our on-line form:
Register to become a volunteer
Need to know more...
If you require further information regarding this position, please contact the Visitor Information Centres' Coordinator on 03 5244 7106.